Thursday, March 27

Day 24

Well, before I start talking about what I did today, I need to go back and cover what happened last night after I completed my post. So there I was in the campground office lobby working on the computer, like several other people, when I heard a motorcycle firing up. I thought that it sounded a lot like mine so I peeked out the window to have a look, but it turned out it was a Buell; makes sense, after all they have a Harley engine in them. Anyways, later that evening, back at my camp site, this couple comes walking by and I recognize them as being the ones with the Buell. So I say, “Aren’t you the ones with the Buell?” I can see them processing what I say, and then in some broken English they respond that yes they are. Then they ask about how I pronounced Buell, so I can’t help myself and I ask them where they’re from. Turns out they’re from Montreal! So, we I switch to speaking in French! You can imagine their surprise. Anyways they sit down and we talk for a long while about our respective trips. I show them my pictures of Big Bend National park since they weren’t able to make it there. I also get a few more reasons to visit Montreal on this trip. Eventually we say goodnight and I go to bed shortly after.

The next morning, same routine as usual. Head out to Carlsbad caverns by 9:00am, and I’m taking the elevator down to the cavern by 10:00am. The ride up to the caverns is pretty cool too; check out the panoramic shot. Anyways, the caverns are pretty cool. A lot like Luray caverns, but I seem to remember that Luray caverns has more colors. Anyways, I take a LOT of pictures! I finally leave around 12:30pm, and head north to Roswell, NM. There I stop for some lunch; another new one for me, a guacamole burger! It was pretty tasty. From there I had to the Harley shop in Roswell to pick up a couple of tshirts. I was thinking of checking out the ‘Bottomless Lake state park’, but I skip it since time is running out and I need to make it through the Lincoln National Forest, and the Mescalero Apache reservation before nightfall. Anyways the drive through the forest and the reservation is gorgeous. I reach an altitude of about 9,000 feet! It’s a little chilly up here! I finally reach Alamogordo around 7:15pm and find a campground to set up my tent.

Well that’s it, here are the pictures from today!


1 comment:

Papa said...

Denis - sounds like a great ride and providence is on your side. Alexander's GGG+ grandmother is buried just south of Reserve (buried in a log!)ask the locals to show you where the 'graves' are - BTW - great place to crash is the Los Olmos Lodges, Alma NM about 15+ miles S of Reserve ($$) good place to catch up and awesome breakfast - have a green chile cheeseburger for me.
Have fun
Norman Nicolson (aka Papa N)