Saturday, April 12

Day 39

Got up very early and was on the road by 7:45am. Got onto the 101 and drove south to catch the “Avenue of the Giants”. This is an old section of highway 101 which goes through some amazing redwood groves. These trees are just amazing! You really feel dwarfed as you drive through these forests. From here I continued on north along the 101, past Eureka towards Crescent City. Along the way I got to see some elk, and I even saw a bald eagle. I got pictures of the elk, but unfortunately I was driving and there was no place to pull over when I saw the bald eagle. The road up the 101 was gorgeous, I pulled off to go see the Klamath River overlook. Basically it was a small overlook, looking down on where the mouth of the Klamath River flows into the ocean. A pretty amazing view, and supposedly during this time of year you can still spot whales from time to time. I hung out for about 15 minutes but did not see any whales. I then got back on the 101 to Crescent City where I turned east on 199. Another amazing road! This took me all the way to Grant’s Pass, OR where I then turned back south on I-5 to get to Ashland.

Pulled in to Ashland around 5:00pm, just as my friend Ezra was getting done with work. Met up with him at his house, and got all my stuff unloaded. Later on we went out to grab a bite to eat and met a bunch of his friends, including his girlfriend Amanda.

Here are the pictures from today:


No comments: