Wednesday, March 19

Day 13

Well I left Mobile, Alabama today. I have to thank the Nicolson family for being so generous in hosting me these last couple of days; I have greatly enjoyed being in Mobile and look forward to coming back at some future date. From Mobile, I made my day down to Dauphin Island, where I checked out Fort Gaines. Then had to backtrack a little bit to get to route 90 west which would take me almost all the way to New Orleans.
The road across Mississipi, and eventually into Louisana was beautiful, but I have to admit that it became a little depressing after a while. I am of course referring to the still evident signs of destruction left behind by huricane Katrina, several years after the fact now. Pretty much, as of Biloxi and on, I could not get away from it. Empty slabs of concrete, front stoops leading to nothingness, parts of white picket fences, gutted out buildings of all kinds, all these littered the road side as I made my way west. In Louisiana, I had decided to spend the night in St. Bernard State Park; this of course took me through St. Bernard Parish. Well, all I can say about this is that all the pictures you've seen on TV just does not even come close to putting it into true perspective.
I made it to St. Bernard St. park around 6:30pm, and as soon as I arrived and got off the bike, the next door neighbor came and offered me a free beer. Alright, I thought, this is a good start! Anyways, turns out he's a bike fanatic as well. Eventually I got my camp set up, and started to cook dinner. While dinner was cooking I started gathering stuff to make a fire, just for the fun of it, and a truck going around the camp ground stopped and asked if I wanted to fish fillets to grill out. Apparently they had gone fishing and got more than they could eat. I gratefully declined as I already had some dinner cooking on the stove, but was pleasantly suprised by the local hospitality.

Well that's about it, here are some pics.

No comments: